St. Gabriel's Parish was established as a parish of the Archdiocese of Newark in 1953. Originally a mission church of St. Luke's Parish in Ho-Ho-Kus, St. Gabriel's became a separate parish with the appointment of its first pastor, Fr. Joseph Colrick. He held that position until his death in 1974. The church, beautiful and bright today, was once home to a short-lived evangelical Protestant sect known as the Zion Tabernacle. The church stood empty in the late 1940s and early 1950s, until it was acquired by the Archdiocese. The church was named in honor of St. Gabriel the Archangel, who brought news of the Incarnation to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Seven priests have served as Pastor of St. Gabriel's Parish.
The number of registered families has risen to over 1200 from the towns of Saddle River, Waldwick, Ho-Ho-Kus, Ridgewood, and many other municipalities in northern Bergen County. St. Gabriel's celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2003. The future direction of St. Gabriel's will be one of active, dynamic faith and the sharing of spiritual and material blessings with others, especially the needy in the Archdiocese and beyond.